Saturday, 30 May 2020

Documentor Plugin - Triggers (and Bootstrap)



Introduction

In previous posts about documenting my org with a Salesforce CLI plugin the focus has been on extracting and processing the object metadata. Now that area has been well and truly covered, it's time to move on. The next target in my sights is triggers - not for any particular reason, just that the real projects that I use this on have triggers that I want to show in my docs!

Trigger Metadata

Trigger metadata is split across two files - the .trigger file, which contains the actual Apex trigger code, and the .trigger-meta.xml file, which contains the supporting information - whether it is active, it's API version. The .trigger file itself contains the object that it is acting on and the action(s) that will cause it to fire:

trigger Book_ai on Book__c (before insert) {

}
Luckily the syntax is rigid - the object comes after the on keyword and the actions appear in brackets after that, so just using standard JavaScript string methods I can locate the boundaries and pull out the information that I want, but not just to display it.

Checking for Duplicates

As we all know, when there is more than one trigger for an object and action, the order they will fire in is not guaranteed. If you are a gambling aficionado then you may find this enjoyable, but most of us prefer a dull, predictable life when it comes to our business automation.

Once I've processed the trigger bodies and extracted the object names and actions, one of the really nice side-effects is that I can easily figure out if there are any duplicates and I can call these out on the triggers page (I've updated the sample metadata to add duplicate triggers - they don't actually do anything so wouldn't really be an issue anyway!) :

Bootstrap

Those that have been following this series of posts may notice that the styling looks a little better now than in earlier versions - this is because I've moved over to the Bootstrap library, pulled in via the CDN so I don't need to worry about including it in my plug-in. 

I've also updated the main page to use cards with badges to make it clear if there are any problems with the processed metadata :



Which I think we can all agree looks a lot better. You can see the latest version of the HTML generated from the sample metadata at https://bbdoc-example.herokuapp.com/index.html

I've also moved some duplicated markup out to an EJS include, which is as easy as I hoped it would be. The markup goes into a file with a .ejs suffix like any other - here's the footer from my pages:

<div class="pt-3"></div>
<footer class="footer">
    <div class="container">
        <div class="row justify-content-between">
            <div class="col-6">
                <p class="text-left"><small class="text-muted">Generated <%=footer.generatedDate%></small>
                </p>
            </div>
            <div class="col-6">
                <p class="text-right"><small class="text-muted">Bob Buzzard's Org Documentor
                        v<%=footer.version%></small></p>
            </div>
        </div>
    </div>
</footer>
And I can include this just by specifying the path:
<%- include ('../common/footer') %>
Note that I've put the footer in a common subdirectory that is a sibling of where the template is stored.
Note also that I've used the <%- tag which says to include the raw html output from the include. Finally, note that I don't pass anything to the footer - it has access to exactly the same properties as the page that includes it. 

As usual, I've tested the plug-in against the sample metadata repo on MacOS and Windows 10. You can find the latest version (3.3.1) on NPMJS at the link shown below.

Related Posts



 

No comments:

Post a comment