Saturday 17 April 2021

Unpackaged Metadata for Package Creation Tests in Spring 21

Introduction

The Spring 21 release of Salesforce introduced a useful new feature for those of us using second generation managed or unlocked packages (which really should be all of us now) - the capability to have metadata available at the time of creating a new package version, but which doesn't get added to the package.

I've written before about how I use unpackaged directories for supplementary code, but this isn't code that is needed at creation time, it's typically utilities to help the development process or sample application code to make sure that the package code works as expected when integrated elsewhere. 

The Scenario

To demonstrate the power of the new unpackaged concept, here's my scenario:

I have a package that defines a framework for calculating the discount on an Opportunity through plug and play rule classes. The package provides a global interface that any rule class has to implement:

public interface DiscountRuleIF 
{
    Decimal GetDiscountPercent(Opportunity opp);
}

 The rules are configured through a Discount_Rule__c custom object, which has the following important fields:

  • Rule_Class__c - the name of the class with the rule interface implementation
  • Rule_Namespace__c - the namespace of the class, in case the class lives in another package
And there's the rule manager, which retrieves all of the rules, iterates them, instantiates the implementing class and executes the GetDiscountPercent method on the dynamically created class, eventually calculating the total discount across all rules:
global with sharing class DiscountManager 
{
    global Decimal GetTotalDiscount(Opportunity opp)
    {
        List<Discount_Rule__c> discountRules=[select id, Rule_Class__c, Rule_Class_Namespace__c
                                              from Discount_Rule__c];
        Decimal totalDiscount=0;

        for (Discount_Rule__c discountRule : discountRules)
        {
            Type validationType = Type.forName(discountRule.Rule_Class_Namespace__c,discountRule.Rule_Class__c);        
            DiscountRuleIF discountRuleImpl = (DiscountRuleIF) validationType.newInstance();
    
             totalDiscount+=discountRuleImpl.GetDiscountPercent(opp);

        }

        return totalDiscount;
    }
}

So the idea is that someone installs this package, creates rules locally (or installs another package that implement the rules), and when an opportunity is saved, the discount is calculated and some action taken, probably discounting the price, but they are only limited by their imagination.

Testing the Package

I don't want to include any rules with my package - it purely contains the framework to allow rules to be plugged in. Sadly, this means that I won't be able to test my rule manager class, as I won't have anything that implements the discount rule interface. For the purposes of checking my class, I can define some supplementary code using the technique from my earlier post via the following sfdx-project.json : 

{
    "packageDirectories": [
        {
            "path": "force-app",
            "default": true,
            "package": "UNPACKMETA",
            "versionName": "ver 0.1",
            "versionNumber": "0.1.0.NEXT"
        },
        {
            "path": "example",
            "default": false
        }
    ],
    "namespace": "BGKBTST",
    "sfdcLoginUrl": "https://login.salesforce.com",
    "sourceApiVersion": "51.0"
}

Then I put my sample implementation and associated test classes into example/force-app/main/classes, and when I execute all tests I get 100% coverage.  I can also create a new package version with no problems. Unfortunately, when I promote my package version via the CLI, the wheels come off:

Command failed
The code coverage required to promote this version has not been met.
Please add additional test coverage and ensure the code coverage check
passes during version creation.

My sample implementation and the associated test code has been successfully excluded from the package, but that means I don't have the required test coverage. Before Spring 21 I'd sigh and pollute my package with code that I didn't want, just to satisfy the test coverage requirement. It would be a small sigh, but they add up over the years.

The unpackagedMetadata property

The new Spring 21 feature is activated by adding the unpackagedMetadata property to my sfdx-project.json, inside the default package directory stanza:

{
    "packageDirectories": [
        {
            "path": "force-app",
            "default": true,
            "package": "UNPACKMETA",
            "versionName": "ver 0.1",
            "versionNumber": "0.1.0.NEXT",
            "unpackagedMetadata": {
                "path": "example"
            }
        },
        {
            "path": "example",
            "default": false
        }
    ],
    "namespace": "BGKBTST",
    "sfdcLoginUrl": "https://login.salesforce.com",
    "sourceApiVersion": "51.0",
}

Note that I still have my supplementary directory defined, but I'm also flagging it as metadata that should be used at create time to determine the test coverage, but not included in the package.

Having created a new version with this configuration, I'm able to promote it without any problem. Just to double check I installed the package into a scratch org and the unpackagedMetadata was, as expected, not present.

Reduced Coverage in the Subscriber Org

One side effect of this is that the code coverage across all namespaces will be reduced in the subscriber org. Depending on your point of view, this may cause you as the package author some angst. It may also cause the admin who installed the package into their org some angst. 

Personally I don't think it matters - the coverage of managed package code doesn't have any impact on the subscriber org, and I don't think it's possible to craft tests inside a managed package that are guaranteed to pass regardless of what org they are installed into. I could do it for my sample scenario, but if it's anything more complex than that, the tests are at the tender mercy of the org configuration. I create an in-memory Opportunity to test my discount manager, but if I had to insert it into the database, there's any amount of validation or expected data that could trip me up. While there are techniques that could be used to help ensure my tests can pass, mandating that everyone who installs my package has to have used them across all their automation seems unlikely to be met with a positive reaction.

What it is more likely to mean is that running all tests across all namespaces is more likely to succeed, as the tests which could easily be derailed by the org configuration can be left out of the package, just leaving the ones that are completely isolated to the package code in place, so swings and roundabouts.

What it does mean is that the package author has the choice as to whether the tests are packaged or not, which seems the way it should be to me.

Related Posts






1 comment:

  1. https://salesforce.stackexchange.com/questions/369585/issue-with-dependency-package-picklist-value-not-found
    Get help on this.

    ReplyDelete